Java updates

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Dec 11 13:34:15 PST 2008

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:ghrj09$205a$1 at digitalmars.com...
> - Null dereference expressions - Null checks with '?' syntax similar to
> Groovy... lettign developers avoid a nest of null checks. (This will
> probably come in D too, sooner or later).

This is something Java desparately needs, as damn near everything in Java is
nullable. I'm not sure I would argue against it in D, but I would say Java
has much more of a need for it than D does. I was looking at the
ANTLR/StringTemplate code a few weeks ago (it's written in Java) and there
were so many null checks all over the place that I felt like I was looking
at code from the time before exceptions replaced errors-as-return-values.