Can i plz has some template instantiation error stack traces?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:50:07 PST 2008

Seriously though, I think this is a big hole in the DMD support of templates.

It's very annoying to get a compiler message that consists of nothing but:

" error: ATemplateFunction: int does not have a .length property"

Where ATemplateFunction is something like

void ATemplateFunction(ArrayT)(ArrayT  x) {
     auto n = x.length;

Great so I know somewhere in my source code I called ATemplateFunction
with the wrong kind of argument.  The compiler knows where it was that
I made the call, but it just doesn't care to enlighten me.  Very
frustrating.

--bb