Basic benchmark

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 09:55:06 PST 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

> I hope bearophile will eventually understand that DMD is not good at
> optimizing code, and so comparing its output to GCC's is ultimately
> meaningless.

Personally, I appreciate seeing this stuff from bearophile.  I use D in ways where speed really does count.  One of my draws to D was that it was a systems language that could be faster than something like Java.  I also was sick of C++ and its problems, such as code that requires workarounds for compiler bugs or lack of compiler optimization.  It's really sad to see D requiring the same kind of stuff.  For D to become as mainstream as C++, all of this stuff that bearophile posts must be fixed.