Basic benchmark

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 12:01:17 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:

>> That said, LDC isn't quite there yet, especially on Windows, but it
>> would be very encouraging to see Walter take at least a little
>> interest in it.  The transition would be a little painful for a while,
>> but much less painful than trying to write a new back end from
>> scratch, and in the end I believe it would make D a much more viable
>> platform going forward.
>>
>> --bb
>
> After having seen GDC fail to live up to expectations and become
> abandonware, it's unsurprising that Walter's unwilling to invest any
> emotional energy into LDC just yet. In six months the story may be
> completely different.

I think licensing issues were a serious issue with Walter moving DMD
over to GDC.  But let's say they weren't and Walter had moved DMD over
to GDC when Dave was still working actively on it.  If that had
happened, then today we'd have a GDC-based DMD compiler that Walter
maintained by himself, BUT which can benefit from all the non-D
developers who work on GCC's back end.

Compared with the situation today, which is that Walter maintains DMD
by himself, and *nobody* works on the back end, and nobody even has
the access to work on the back end,  since it is closed source.

So, even given that Dave has abandoned GDC, that still sounds better to me.

--bb