LDC Windows exception handling

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 15:08:24 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 7:55 AM, aarti_pl <aarti at interia.pl> wrote:
> Bill Baxter pisze:

>>> No, unfortunately.
>>>
>>> It's a problem with LLVM only supporting Dwarf2 exception handling. I'm
>>> pretty sure it'd work if we used ELF for the object files and GCC for
>>> linking, but Windows people tell me this is hardly acceptable.
>>>
>>> We won't get 'real' exceptions working on Windows until someone adds SEH
>>> support to LLVM.
>>>
>>> Volunteers?
>>>

>> Hmm, so what does clang do then?  Does it also just fail on Windows?
>> Anyway, I signed up for the clang dev mailing list to ask this
>> question there too...
>>
>> --bb
>
> I don't know how current is web page of clang project, but I found following
> clang status page:
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html
>
> Exception handling is marked over there as "Not started/not evaluated" (see
> point 15 in status table).

Ok.  A fellow named Sebastian who says he works on the clang C++ also
said that it didn't support exceptions in C++.  And also that the
current C++ support in clang is basically unusable.

But anyway, they're going to want exception support sooner or later,
too.  Maybe there's some way for LDC and clang guys to collaborate or
divide up the work getting Windows exceptions into LDC?  Or at least
work together to get LLVM guys to implement it?

--bb