Basic benchmark

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 16:36:09 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Jason House
<jason.james.house at gmail.com> wrote:

> I couldn't agree more!
>
> I never understood why people were so anti-gdc.  I would not be surprised to hear that the gdc developer(s) stopped after hearing just how little people appreciated their hard work.

Well, I think it has more to do with the secretive way in which gdc
was developed.  I don't know that it was intentionally so, but I read
through the old NG messages once from back when Dave first announced
it, and he always kept things very close to the chest from the very
beginning.  Others were apparently working on a GCC-based port of D at
the same time and going back and forth in the NG about how to get
things working, when Dave popped in and said "I have ported D to GCC".
 I have no reason to believe he was intentionally trying to keep
people away from helping him, but he's never shown much interest in
collaborating as far as I recall.  Some people just prefer to work
alone.

On the other hand LDC already has multiple contributors and has been
developed in an open and welcoming way from the very beginning.

--bb