Optimal struct layout template?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 10:08:30 PST 2008

According to the spec, data stored in structs is guaranteed to be laid out in
the order specified in the source code.  While this is necessary in some
low-level code, I have a use case where I need to pack structs as efficiently
as possible.  These structs are to be stored in an array, and for efficiency
reasons I want to store them directly rather than storing pointers, so using
classes is out of the question.  Does anyone know how to write a template
that, given a tuple of types, will reorder the tuple so that it will produce
the optimal struct layout?  I don't care, at least for now, if it assumes
x86-32/DMD instead of handling the more general case.