Basic benchmark

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 19:01:16 PST 2008

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Abandoning dmd's back end now then would entail a 2 year delay with no
> updates, and I guarantee that there'll be years of wringing bugs out of
> LLVM. Writing a cg for a complex instruction set like the x86 is, well,
> pretty complicated <g> with thousands of special cases.
> One thing that made D possible was I was able to use a mature,
> professional quality, debugged optimizer and back end. The lack of that
> has killed many otherwise promising languages in the past.

I do agree to a large extent with the argument that Walter's time is better spent
on the language itself rather than on messing with compiler back ends, but just to
play devil's advocate:  What happens when x86-32 is irrelevant because everyone's
using 64-bit?  Could DMD eventually be made to support x86-64 codegen w/o too much
work, given that it already supports x86-32?  How much longer do others on this
newsgroup think x86-32 will be the dominant compiler target?