Basic benchmark

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Dec 14 21:15:28 PST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I'm perfectly happy to accept reasonable arguments that the current
> alternatives are not good enough yet (LLVM) or have unacceptable
> licensing terms (GCC).
> But arguing that it would take too much time to learn something new is
> not convincing to me.  Nor is an argument that the backend needs
> special feature X.  If the back end is really open source, then
> maintainers should not object to the addition of features needed by a
> hosted language -- as long as those features do not interfere with
> other hosted languages, and I see no reason why they should.

Controlling the back end also enables dmd to do some fun things like
generate libraries directly - not only does this dramatically speed up
library builds, it increases the granularity by building multiple object
files per module.

I'd like to have it do a link, too, so dmd could directly generate
executables!