More phpBB like forum?

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:50:06 PST 2008

== Quote from Jarrett Billingsley (jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com)'s article
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Walter Bright
> <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's open source. You could fix it <g>.
> >
> It's also PHP.. good luck finding someone who _wants_ to fix it ;)

I wonder if some of the fixes would really take that much effort for someone who's experienced with PHP. (I don't have much experience
with PHP, and I'm probably too lazy to find the time to work on it anyway.)

My pet peeve about the webnews interface is how sometimes the "Recent messages in this thread" list gives links to the wrong newsgroup
(e.g., digitalmars.D instead or digitalmars.D.announce). I'm sure fixing it would require wading through some code, but I suspect it
wouldn't be that hard to fix.

Another way that webnews could be enhanced is to have a link to the corresponding post in pnews. For most purposes, webnews is superior
to pnews, but sometimes pnews is helpful too (e.g., header information). I bet that'd be pretty easy.

Also, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to get the fixes published on digitalmars.com if I spent the time working on it. For example, the old "D" newsgroup is still not available from webnews.
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=46629

By the way, after all these years, the http://www.opend.org/ website is still "investigating how to hook the D frontend into the GCC
backend". Maybe someone should tell them about GDC. ;)