Basic benchmark

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:23:49 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, all that said,  it's not clear that we really do have that
>> mythical "uber backend" available right now.
>>
>> According to my conversations on the clang mailing list, the current
>> target is for LLVM to be able to fully support a C++ compiler by 2010.
>>  I'm not quite sure what all that involves, but apparently it includes
>> things like making exceptions work on Windows.
>
> I wonder if there's any chance of getting a LLVM D compiler working before
> the LLVM C++ compiler works? <g>

Sounds to me like LDC is already ahead of clang's C++.
I actually asked the same question over on the list "could it be that
LDC is already the most advanced compiler availble on the LLVM
platform?"  One guy answered "No, there's llvm-g++", but another guy
answered "it depends on whether you count llvm-g++ as an LLVM-based
compiler or not".    I'm not sure what llvm-g++ is, but from that I'm
guessing maybe it's an llvm front end with a g++ back-end.  In which
case, I wouldn't really count it.

But there are a lot of LLVM projects listed here:
http://llvm.org/ProjectsWithLLVM/
Maybe one of those is more advanced than LDC, not that "advanced" has
a very specific meaning anyway.

LDC should definitely be on that list, though.

--bb