Compiler optimizations

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat Dec 20 23:07:40 PST 2008

Nick B wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> dsimcha wrote:
>>> Does anyone know of a decent guide that has information on what types of
>>> optimizations compilers typically perform and what they aren't
>>> capable of
>>> performing automatically?
>>
>> As always -- Agner Fog. www.agner.org. Chapter 1 of his optimisation
>> manual lists the optimisations performed for Microsoft, Borland,
>> Intel, GCC, DMC, Watcom, and Codeplay C++ compilers. DMD is basically
>> the same as DMC, except that it's better at constant propagation.
>
> Don
>
> Thanks for the great link. The "Optimizing software in C++" is a
> interesting read. It even mentions "D".

 > Nick B.

I didn't know that. I've been trying to get Agner interested in D for a
while now. Not a bad quote:

"Another alternative worth considering is the D language. D has many of
the features of Java and C# and avoids many of the drawbacks of C++.
Yet, D is compiled to binary code and can be linked together with C or
C++ code. Compilers and IDE’s for D are not yet as well developed as C++
compilers."

Don.