Image of objects and classes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Dec 22 06:08:13 PST 2008

There's something I'd like to see something added to the standard D documentation: one or two images that show the details of how in D objects and classes are represented in memory.
I am talking about a black&while image with boxes for the fields and arrows for the pointers, that shows for a couple tiny programs where and how monitor, pointer to vtables, vtables, interfaces, and and so on point to each other and are shaped. I think a simple example and a more complex example that uses interfaces too may be enough.
I think a person that knows such things may need only one hour to create such image in a basic way.
Years ago I have found that such kind of images help me a lot to understand how things actually are. In a higher level language probably you don't need to know such details, but in a lower/system language it's sometimes useful.

Bye,
bearophile