Hello .NET, D Here Calling

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:54:05 PST 2008

This is very exciting!

.NET is the platform microsoft is pushing applications developers on, it will be very relevant for D if it can be used there. Loads of C++ developers seem to be migrating to C# too, I'm sure they will love D.NET.

Right now I'm trying to get into the programming business and C# is my best option. I was amazed to find out I could just program in C# without any learning. It's almost an exact subset of D, with many limitations and a bit more verbosity.

In addition to much better generic and metaprogramming, there are lots of more modest things I missed in C# too. It's type inference is inferior for example, and lack of free functions very annoying. Also nothing as clean as scope statements.

C# on the other hand has reflection, properties and Linq, which is just awesome. I noticed many developers really adore properties, perhaps it's worth some attention to rethink how this is handled in D. It is used everywhere in .NET.

The fact that C# and D are so similar will only help C# programmers migrating to D.NET ;)