Operator overloading

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat Dec 27 02:51:02 PST 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:

>>> Me also have a dream :D
>>>
>>> <Daydream mode>
>>> class Foo
>>> {
>>>        auto op(++)(); // bar++
>>>        auto op(++)(int); // ++bar
>>>
>>>        op(cast)(uint); // cast(uint)bar // opCast
>>>        auto op(())(int, float); // Foo(123, 123.456) // opCall
>>>
>>>        auto op(+)(Foo rhs); // bar1 + bar2
>>>        auto op(+=)(int); // bar += 1234;
>>>        auto op(.)(); // bar.xyz // opDot
>>>
>>>        Foo op([][][])(int, char, float); // bar[123]['x'][123.456]
>>>
>>>        auto op([..])(); // i = bar2[] // opSlide
>>>        auto op([..])(int, int); // bar[1..10]
>>>
>>>        auto op([..]=)(float); // bar[] = 12.3 //opSlideAssign
>>>        auto op([..]=)(int, int, float); // bar[1..3] = 123.4
>>> }
>>> </Dream>
>>
>> When I suggested this kind of thing long ago, Walter said that it
>> encourages operator overload abuse, because it suggests that  + is
>> just a generic symbolic operator rather than something that
>> specifically means "addition".  That's why D uses "opAdd" instead.
>> It's supposed to encourage only creating overloads that follow the
>> original meaning of the operator closely.  That way when you see a+b
>> you can be reasonably sure that it means addition or something quite
>> like it.
>
> I think that argument is rather weak and ought to be revisited. It's
> weak to start with as if writing "+" in a D program hardly evokes
> anything else but "plus". What the notation effectively achieved was put
> more burden on the programmer to memorize some names for the
> already-known symbols. I think the entire operator overloading business,
> which started from a legitimate desire to improve on C++'s, ended up
> worse off.

I feel quite strongly that C++'s operator overloading was a failed
experiment. The original intention (AFAIK) was to allow creation of
mathematical entities which could use natural syntax. The classic
example was complex numbers, and it works reasonably well for that,
although it requires you to create an absurd number of repetitive functions.

But for anything much more complicated, such as matrices, tensors, big
integer arithmetic, etc -- it's an abject failure. It's clumsy, and
creates masses of temporary objects, which kills performance so
completely that it's unusable. But the whole point of operator
overloading was to allow nice notation in a performace-oriented
language! Expression templates are basically a hack to restore
performance in most cases, but it comes at a massive cost in simplicity.
And the performance even then is not always optimal.

I think that Walter's idea, in tightening the semantics of overloaded
operators, is the right approach. Unfortunately, it doesn't go far
enough, so we get the worst of both worlds: the C++ freedom is
curtailed, but there isn't enough power to replace it.

Ultimately, I think that the problem is that ideally, '+' is not simply
a call to a function called 'plus()'. What you'd like an operator to
compile to, depends on the expression in which it is embedded. For
maximum performance, an expression needs to be digested before it is
converted into elementary functions.

In my 'operator overloading without temporaries' proposal in Bugzilla,
I showed that DEFINING a -= b as being identical to a = a - b, and then
  creating a symmetric operation for a = b - a allows optimal code
generation in a great many cases. It's not a complete solution, though.

In particular, irreducible temporaries need more thought. Ideally, in
something like a += b * c + d, b*c would be created in a memory pool,
and deleted at the end of the expression.
(By contrast, a = b*c+d, would translate to a=b*c; a+=d; so no temporary
is required).

There are other, less serious problems which also need to be addressed.

Defining ++a as a+=1 is probably a mistake. It raises lots of nasty issues.
* If a is a complex number, a = a + 1 makes perfect sense. But it's not
obvious that ++a is sensible.
* What type is '1'? Is it an int, a uint, a long, ... You don't have
that issue with increment.

As I see it, there are two possible strategies:
(1) Pursuing optimal performance, which requires semantic tightening,
and reduced flexibility, or
(2) Pursure simplicity and semantic flexibility, sacrificing performance.

I think those two possibilities are mutually exclusive.