dmd platform support - poll

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Dec 27 05:43:02 PST 2008

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:gj5422$1hkv$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> 2. I have absolutely zero interest in 64-bit. To the people annoyed at
>> the limitations of the 32-bit address space: What in the world are you
>> working on? Non-linear video editors and 3D modeling packages?
>
> Games. See http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/x86-64.ars/5

The only reason games ever need 64-bit is for the ever-increasing graphics
whoring. Sure, you'll probably need 64-bit for Gear-of-War quality graphics,
but as a gamer, why the fuck should I care about that? That article heavily
cites Epic, but Epic's had their heads firmly up their asses for a good long
while now. They're far more interested in forcing hardware upgrades on
people than anything else.