dmd platform support - poll

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Dec 27 12:45:57 PST 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:gj5r9e$dom$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
>> news:gj1olu$1390$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gj0qht$2lc1$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> - ARM7/ARM9
>>> - Other misc microcontrollers, like Parallax's Propeller
>>> - Mac osx 32 bit intel
>>> - *maybe* bsd 32-bit, .net and jvm (and with .net and jvm I'd want to
>>> still be able to use tango and phobos, and not be forced to switch to
>>> the .net and jvm standard libs)
>>
>> To elaborate:
>>
>> 1. A "systems language" that doesn't compile to any embedded
>> microcontroller seems more than a little bit silly to me. (Sad as it is
>> to say, I don't think GDC counts anymore.)
>>
>> 2. I have absolutely zero interest in 64-bit. To the people annoyed at
>> the limitations of the 32-bit address space: What in the world are you
>> working on? Non-linear video editors and 3D modeling packages?
>
> I have to say I'm appalled by this, particularly coming from someone who
> ought to know better. Should we really settle our ambitions with computers
> to glorified typewriters, networking tools, and the such?

I never said D shouldn't have 64-bit support, I just don't personally have
any interest in it. I've done a lot of work on "low-end" systems and older
platforms, and frankly *I'm* appalled by how much a lot of developers
underestimate a piece of hardware just because it isn't the latest and
greatest (and most expensive). Like I indicated, I'm well aware that there
are legitimate applications for 64-bit, such as non-linear video editing and
3D modeling (and DBs, servers, and *with caveats* certain types of gaming.)
But first of all, I haven't been working on such things, hence my lack of
personal interest. And secondly, judging by number of people here asking for
64-bit, I find it highly unlikely that most of them have plans to work on
such things either.