dmd platform support - poll

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sat Dec 27 15:56:25 PST 2008

Reply to Andrei,

> In my opinion, it's not application pressure that drives 64-bit
> machine adoption, now or in the near future. It's RAM price,
> availability, and usefulness. A 32-bit machine cannot gainfully have
> more than 4GB of RAM, period.

IIRC 32 bit Intel chips can address more like 64GB of RAM (I can't find the
ref but I seem to recall about 4 extra address bits). It's just virtual address
spaces that are limited to 4GB (or 2-3GB after the OS takes it's pound of
flesh)

As pointed out, only a few apps need anything near 2GB of RAM per process.