dmd platform support - poll

Sönke Ludwig ludwig_no at spam_informatik.uni-luebeck.de
Sun Dec 28 06:52:23 PST 2008

Order of preference:
   Mac 32bit
   * 64bit
   .net
   --- below only theoretically interesting
   freebsd
   netbsd
   jvm

For my personal project I'm currently fine with only 32-bit x86 support.
  Mac support would definitely be the most important step here,
especially since many people I know which would like to use D are on
Macs and are discouraged by the bad support for that platform. Also it
will be an important platform for the time when the project goes public.

At work I would like to eventually start introducing D when D2 has
settled a bit (the planned threading model will be very interesting
there). In that environment all of Win/32/64 and Mac/32/64 would have to
be supported. 64-bit support can be very useful there, as virtual
address space is a major optimization target (image processing and
database operations). In addition, 64-bit support is required by
marketing needs alone (people with their shiny new Vista-64 PC asking
why the software does not use their hardware properly). Currently we
also still have to support PPC. I'm not sure how long that requirement
holds, probably depends on Apple's own deprecation policy.

.NET support would be very welcome if it could act as a transparent
bridge between D and .NET (same would go for D and Cocoa) - This would
be the part where Managed C++ (or Objective-C++) is currently used. If
.net should be supported before OS X, this could also be used as a nice
platform replacement.