dmd platform support - poll

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 28 09:04:38 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:
>> Wired is not necessarily backwards. :)  Despite the tangly lines, it's
>> just easier to keep secure.
>
> There are more reasons to like wireds. Plug the wire in, and it works,
> you're up on the LAN. With wireless, there's usually 3-5 minutes of
> fiddling to get connected. And if it won't connect, you have no idea
> why, so you go cold boot the machine, cold boot the wireless access
> point, hold the antenna up, etc. Phui.
>
> Don't tell me this is fixed, either. I just got a brand new eee pc. Plug
> in the wire, boom, perfection. Use the built in wireless, and fiddle,
> faddle, cold boot, faddle, fiddle, cold boot, fiddle, faddle, ah, now
> it's working. This is in the *AS SHIPPED* configuration, not something I
> downloaded or installed.

Got to say, Linux's #1 drawback is lack of solid wireless support. It
can get very, very unnerving. Particularly because of the
chicken-and-egg thing: you install Linux and you want to get the wifi
working, but you can't download the appropriate driver because you can't
connect. Then the default network-manager is really crappy. My Linux
experience improved considerably when I found a drop-in replacement
called wicd (http://wicd.sf.net).

Andrei