Operator overloading -- lets collect some use cases

aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Sun Dec 28 12:56:03 PST 2008

Don pisze:
> There's been some interesting discussion about operator overloading over
> the past six months, but to take the next step, I think we need to
> ground it in reality. What are the use cases?
>
> I think that D's existing opCmp() takes care of the plethora of trivial
> cases where <, >= etc are overloaded. It's the cases where the
> arithmetic and logical operations are overloaded that are particularly
> interesting to me.
>
> The following mathematical cases immediately spring to mind:
> * complex numbers
> * quaternions (interesting since * is anti-commutative, a*b = -b*a)
> * vectors
> * matrices
> * tensors
> * bigint operations (including bigint, bigfloat,...)
> I think that all of those are easily defensible.
>
> But I know of very few reasonable non-mathematical uses.
> In C++, I've seen them used for iostreams, regexps, and some stuff that
> is quite frankly bizarre.
>
> So, please post any use cases which you consider convincing.

DSL support in mother language. As an example I can give SQL in D or
mockup tests description language (usually also in D - not as a separate
script language).

In my previous posts I already put few arguments why it is sometimes
much more handy to use "DSL in mother language" approach rather than
string mixins with DSL language itself.

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl)