dmd platform support - poll

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Dec 28 19:43:11 PST 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:gj9d1m$1boc$3 at digitalmars.com...
> Chad J wrote:
>> John Reimer wrote:
>>> Hello Nick,

>>> Wired is not necessarily backwards. :)  Despite the tangly lines, it's
>>> just easier to keep secure.
>>>
>>> -JJR
>>>

>> Yeah.  It's a tradeoff.  I use both wired and wireless.  They complement
>> each other nicely.  In an ideal setup both are available.
>>
>> Whenever I run into someone who says something to the effect that
>> wireless is superior and makes wired connections unnecessary, I get a
>> little angry.  I hold it back of course, and realize that I should just
>> pity them their ignorance.  If I have time and it's appropriate, I'll
>> calmly explain why they are wrong ;)
>
> Why are they wrong? (I'm no expert.)

Wired connections are faster, more reliable, easier to configure and secure,
often-times cheaper (even if you count the cost of cords, in many cases) and
with the exception of certain modern laptops, easier to manually force a
complete disconnect. The only drawback with wired is that you have to
buy/run/connect a wire (which can be a legitimate concern in certain cases).