dmd platform support - poll

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Dec 29 09:43:26 PST 2008

Don wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
>> news:gj9d1m$1boc$3 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Why are they wrong? (I'm no expert.)
>>>

>> Wired connections are faster, more reliable, easier to configure and
>> secure, often-times cheaper (even if you count the cost of cords, in
>> many cases) and with the exception of certain modern laptops, easier
>> to manually force a complete disconnect. The only drawback with wired
>> is that you have to buy/run/connect a wire (which can be a legitimate
>> concern in certain cases).
> eg when your house contains crawling babies <g>

That pretty much settled the issue for me :o).

I'd add that wired is not the speed bottleneck when connecting from home
to the Internet. The DSL/cable connections go well below wireless' 54
Mbps. That being said, whenever I want to transfer some large amounts of
data across my home computers, I invariably give up wireless in
frustration and end up rummaging through my drawer for a cable.

Andrei