Operator overloading -- lets collect some use cases

aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Mon Dec 29 10:14:20 PST 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu pisze:
> downs wrote:
>> aarti_pl wrote:

>>> I put my argument much earlier in this discussion:
>>> eg. here:
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=81040
>>>

>>> To sum up: using methods to emulate operators is just completely
>>> unreadable and looks awful. It's very easy to make an error using such a
>>> technique.
>>>
>>> Later, I just replayed to posts convincing that solution for supporting
>>> DSL languages in D is using string mixins. I believe I could provide a
>>> few weighty arguments to support my opinion that it is not always best
>>> solution for this problem. In many cases it is much better to integrate
>>> DSL into D as a kind of API, not separate sub-language. Then we can get
>>> some support from IDE, while using string mixins we probably would get
>>> nothing...
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Marcin Kuszczak
>>> (aarti_pl)
>>
>> Scrapple.Tools uses operator overloading to provide fake infix
>> keywords along the lines of [2, 3, 4] /map/ (int i) { return
>> format(i); }, with a simple and convenient syntax for defining them
>> (mixin(Operator!("map", "something something use lhs and rhs; ")); ).
>>
>> Forcing the end user to write mixin(function()) for such keywords is
>> *NOT* the way to go, for several reasons: a) it's hard to extend, and
>> b) it's needlessly verbose.
>>
>> The reason infix keywords are useful, is because they can be used as a
>> simple way to chain bijective operations together, i.e. a /foo/ b
>> /map/ c /select/ d. Without infix keywords, this would take the form
>> of select(map(foo(a, b), c), d), which is an atrocity because it has
>> to be read in two directions - middle-leftwards for the operations,
>> and middle-rightwards for the parameters.
>>
>> (and yes, I know it's wrong to rely on operator evaluation order. So
>> sue me. )
>>
>> Of course, a more convenient solution would be the ability to extend
>> the D syntax manually, but that's unlikely to appear in our lifetime.
>
> I sometimes think of a subtoken-based approach, e.g. any function name
> starting and ending with an underscore is by definition infix. It's the
> kind of solution that turns Walter's nose so I never brought it up to him.
>
> Andrei

Maybe:

R op[Infix|Postfix]_Name(A a, B b ...);

with some additional forms for special characters. These special forms
could be additionally restricted as necessary, so there would be no
Postfix '&&', but only Infix etc. etc.

Possible examples:
------------------

SqlExpression opInfix_LIKE(string a, string b);
int opInfix_&(int a, int b);
bool opInfix_&&(bool a, bool b);
SqlExpression opInfix_AND(string a, string b);

Below examples for postfix operators; I have not yet idea of syntax for
calling side:

int opPostfix_+(int a, int b); //for e.g. Reversed Polish Notation
int opPostfix_*(int a, int b);

It seems that prefix will not be necessary, as prefix notation is just a
standard function call.

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl)