Operator overloading -- lets collect some use cases

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Dec 29 23:27:35 PST 2008

Don wrote:
> There's been some interesting discussion about operator overloading over
> the past six months, but to take the next step, I think we need to
> ground it in reality. What are the use cases?
>
> I think that D's existing opCmp() takes care of the plethora of trivial
> cases where <, >= etc are overloaded. It's the cases where the
> arithmetic and logical operations are overloaded that are particularly
> interesting to me.
>
> The following mathematical cases immediately spring to mind:
> * complex numbers
> * quaternions
> * vectors
> * matrices
> * tensors
> * bigint operations (including bigint, bigfloat,...)
> I think that all of those are easily defensible.
>
> But I know of very few reasonable non-mathematical uses.
> In C++, I've seen them used for iostreams, regexps, and some stuff that
> is quite frankly bizarre.
>
> So, please post any use cases which you consider convincing.

Some observations based on the use cases to date:
(1)
a += b is ALWAYS a = a + b (and likewise for all other operations).
opXXXAssign therefore seems to be a (limited) performance optimisation.
The compiler should be allowed to synthesize += from +. This would
almost halve the minimum number of repetitive functions required.

A straightforward first step would be to state in the spec that "the
compiler is entitled to assume that X+=Y yields the same result as X=X+Y"

(2)
There seems to be a need for abstract syntax trees, which is NOT
necessarily related to performance. (If we had a 'perfect performance'
solution for operator overloading, it would not remove the desire for
abstract syntax trees).
(3)
The array operations ~, [], [..] need further attention. A solution for
$ is also required.