division of objects into classes and structures is bad

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Dec 30 11:32:44 PST 2008

Don wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Don wrote:

>>> That particular case is the easiest possible one. The case x = y - x,
>>> for example, is much more difficult to recognize.

>>> I'm talking about a language solution. I want to solve this for the
>>> general case.
>>
>> Don't forget that the case you are solving is not general enough
>> because  you are focusing on eliminating temporaries, which is only
>> part of the story. I suggest you make place in your thoughts for loop
>> fusion.
>
> Yes. That's the classic problem for matrices, but I'm still trying to
> work out if it is really a general problem. I was hoping to see some new
> use cases, but none so far.

I think the matrices case is important enough to make it its own class
of problems. For example, bitmap processing is another instance of
matrix usefulness, just one that doesn't usually jump to mind when
thinking of matrices.

Then how about BigInt and arbitrary precision numbers? Wouldn't fusing
some operations together be useful?

Andrei