division of objects into classes and structures is bad

Weed resume755 at mail.ru
Tue Dec 30 14:03:26 PST 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu пишет:
> Weed wrote:
> [about structs vs. classes]
>> It is very a pity.
>> My small opinion: it is impossible to reduce performance for struggle
>> against potential errors - such languages already are, it more
>> high-level. It how to refuse pointers because they are dangerous,
>> difficult for beginners and without them it is possible to make any
>> algorithm.
>
> It's attractive to deal in absolutes, but also dangerous. When C came
> about, naysayers complained that it was consistently 30% slower than
> assembler, and generated larger code by an even higher margin. Then,
> some asked, what would you choose, one OS that's cool because it's
> written in C, or one that's one third faster? and so on. What people
> have forgotten by now is that C *was* high level. And it *did* incur a
> performance hit. It also had desirable properties that overcame that hit.

Can in C# (it uses as far as I know too such sharing) such approach and
it is justified - microsoft accelerates replacement of hardware for new
OS. :) But we after all not blindly copy C#?

After all this problem can be solved, IMHO.
I suggest to make so:

1. To leave structures in that kind in which they is (POD)

2. To permit classes declaration such what they in C++

3. To permit transfer the classes on value (for compulsory pass by
reference and for declaration through "new" now we have "ref" keyword)

3. To check slicing during compilation. It is possible?

4. "scope" for classes to deprecate as superfluous

In that case there will be problems?

>> What is D?
>> D is a general purpose systems and applications programming language. It
>> is a higher level language than C++, but *retains* the ability to write
>> high performance code and interface directly with the operating system
>> API's and with hardware.
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/overview.html
>
> Probably the worst thing that could happen to that description is it
> Kafka-esquely morphing into a dogma.

Seriously, I trusted it