Operator overloading -- lets collect some use cases

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:58:46 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 3:16 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> The name and original implementation of writefln are Walter's and
>> predate my tenure with D. I just defined write() and writeln().
>
> write/writeln are very useful to avoid the silly bugs caused by the possible of a % inside the first string given to writefln. But write/writeln have still a quite large amount of holes/limits (*) that deserve (or must, I'd say) to be filled/fixed. I have named put/putr (final "r" stands for return) my pair of fixed ones (fixed, but not perfect, they have few bug still), a shorter name to type, and you can't write writenl by mistake as I've done for a couple months.

Heh heh.  I'd say close to half of my failed compiles are due to a
"writelfn" I typed somewhere.  I really need to find some kind of
auto-correct package for emacs.

> (*) If you want I can list few pages of such problems/limits/bugs. I have not done this already because not a single person here has shown some interest in fixing the writef/writefln/write/writeln functions so far.

Apparently Andrei was, since he took the trouble to re-write the D1
versions.  Are your improvements to the D1 version or the D2
templatized version?

--bb