concurrency

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Sun Feb 3 12:31:18 PST 2008

"Denton Cockburn" <diboss at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.02.03.02.33.36.603288 at hotmail.com...
> Ok, Walter's said previously (I think) that he's going to wait to see what
> C++ does in regards to multicore concurrency.
>
> Ignoring this for now, for fun, what ideas do you guys have regarding
> multicore concurrency?

Walter also has said recently that he wants to implement automatic
parallelization, and is working on features to will support this (const,
invariant, pure).  I think Andrei is pushing this.  I have my doubts that
this will be useful for most programs.  I think that to leverage this
automatic parallelization, you will have to code in a functional style, or
build your application using pure functions.  Granularity will also probably
be an issue.  Because of these drawbacks, automatic parallelization may not
be so automatic, but may require careful programming, just like manual
parallelization.  But maybe I'm wrong and it will be the greatest thing
ever.

-Craig