Standardization of D

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon Feb 4 23:11:35 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> Right now, D2 is not standard even in that sense -- Walter hasn't
>> reached a consensus with himself. <g>
>> Look how 'const' has changed over the past ten releases.
>> So to answer the original post -- I expect at least another year of
>> releases before Walter will say that the language design is
>> essentially complete.
>
> D1 is complete as far as I'm concerned, except for bug fixes and changes
> that improve the compiler without changing the spec.
>
> The current plan is for D2 to be finalized sometime in the fall.
Will that include most of the things in the conference paper? Or will it be less
ambitious?

Anyway, it would be good to put this on the 'futures' page on the spec. If the
D1 futures page simply said something like:

"D1 is complete, except for bug fixes and changes that improve the compiler
without changing the spec. From April 2007, all language enhancements were made
to D2".
then you'd never have to change it again. (Up to now, it's been a page with a
spectacularly poor record of prediction <g>).
And for D2, you could provide a link to the conference paper.