Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Tim Burrell tim at timburrell.net
Wed Feb 6 07:47:38 PST 2008

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Exactly the same feeling.
>
> Maybe GDC could make the step and provide tango as the standard library.
> If successful, I guess DMD will follow that path.

Honestly, I'd take this over no action, as it might spur Walter to
follow suit, but it could actually end up being another a step backward
for the language... then instead of two compilers and two competing
standard libraries we've got two competing compilers that ship with
different standard libs.  Ie, even more confusion for people new to the
language!

I think it would go a long way if there could be some official action on
this on Walter's part.

I know it's a bit complicated because Walter is actively developing D2,
and thus language changes need to be precipitated by library API changes.

I really believe with a little bit of communication this would hold no
problem for replacing the standard library.  It could go a number of
ways, not the least of which is for Walter to simply maintain his own
branch of the standard lib, and when D2 is ready push the changes down
to the rest of the Tango team.

Ideally though this could potentially set up a situation where the users
have more direct contact with language changes as well -- which I think
would also be a boon.  Ie, how does this language change affect the
standard library, and this standard library feature would really be
improve by adding language feature X.

Obviously it would depend on Walter, but even if he still wants total
control over the language (not necessarily a bad thing, D is pretty
sweet!), he can still feel free to give up Phobos in favor of Tango and
not have to worry about D2, or playing slave to the standard library.

I can't really think of a compelling reason NOT to do this!