Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Darryl Bleau user at example.net
Wed Feb 6 08:52:34 PST 2008

> I really feel strongly that a move toward a single standard library is
> the right thing to do for D.

+1. Ideally though, the tangobos compatibility layer would be dropped
entirely, as I feel that it's existence would still introduce confusion
to new users. The current situation would remain nearly the same, except
that the standard library would simply include this 'other' standard
library layer... (this would make me scratch my head, were I new to D).
There would still be a separation in code like there is today, except
we'd have tangobos/tango versus phobos/tango.

A separately available tangobos whose intended function is to aid in
moving legacy phobos apps to tango would make more sense, imo, than
giving that layer persistence in the new standard lib.

At some point you just have to decide that a certain direction is the
way to go, and go there. Tango-D is nearly a completely separate
language from Phobos-D but I think it's clearly made it's mark and is an
obvious direction to move in. D2 might be a good place to do it.