Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:35:47 PST 2008

Tomas Lindquist Olsen wrote:
> D1/Phobos1 needs to be taken out of Walters hands. He doesn't care about
> it, even though it's the version of D with the largest userbase. If he
> cared he would reply to this thread as well as the countless others
> before it (on the same topic).

That reminds me of the whole "George Bush doesn't care about black
people" thing.

I'm sure Walter cares a lot, and not only that, I think he reads most of
the newsgroup posts. He replies when he has something interesting, and
likely non-inflammatory to say.

DMD 1.x should remain *very* stable, so only bugfixes should appear
there, which Walter has continually provided. As far as Phobos 1.x is
concerned, I think some *NON-BREAKING* additions would be nice, but I
generally think, besides bugfixes, stability is more important in that
branch.

My requirement (in case anyone cares): If I write an application with D
1.x/ Phobos 1.x today, I want it compiling without change in 2 years.