Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Feb 7 01:44:54 PST 2008

Sebastian Beschke:
> Which is pretty much the point of OO.

I agree, but the lesson here is probably that some people don't understand OO well, or they don't want to use it everywhere, or it doesn't go well with their mindset, or they need to go faster and they want to program in a more C-style, etc. Java has OOP only, but D allows other kinds of programming too, so maybe it may be better to not have a std lib that is fully OOP, so it can be used when you program differently (like functional-style). Tango doesn't need to be perfect for everyone, but probably there are ways to modify its structure enough to make it look good enough for most people :-) I know very little about Tango still, but I have seen there are lot of people that think some changes may be in order before making it the D std lib :-)

> If you want to understand something in Tango, you can still read the source code.

The source code of Phobos is a simpler read to me (it's a matter of style too, I presume, not just of higher complexity coming from higher capabilities).

Bye,
bearophile