Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Tim Burrell tim at timburrell.net
Thu Feb 7 15:41:08 PST 2008

Ameer Armaly wrote:
> If we can get a systemm for accepting submitions to Phobos going, what if we
> made Tango a sort of expansion pack on top of it? I.E. Phobos addresses all
> the basic stuff, and Tango ditches all its standard library-ish code and
> becomes the "extended library" if you will. The way I see it the standard
> library should be fairly comprehensive without going in to actual nitches;
> that ought to be left to whatever expansion pack we put together. Thoughts?

Not a bad idea!  Personally I'd still like to see the Tango standard
library stuff as the base -- IMO it's higher quality, and more complete.

That being said, what you suggested would be a great start, and could be
enough to get Phobos where we need it to be.  Either way, a system for
getting more people involved with Phobos development would be really good.

The thing is, this is a huge part of the problem right now -- Phobos is
currently closed, and isn't being maintained.

My original proposition of adopting Tango as the standard library of
choice was resting on the assumption that Walter isn't really all that
interested in giving Phobos the attention it deserves (which is fine!).
  If that's not true (also fine!), then what you suggest is definitely
something I'd be okay with.

Unfortunately Walter hasn't weighed in on the subject, so it's hard to
know what to believe.

Come on Walter, let's hear it!  Speak up!