Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:17:02 PST 2008

> I don't have a quarrel with your chosen style of coding, however it
> sounds as though your reasons are because you do not want to learn a new
> style.

Well, not unless it's a noticeable improvement inside.  Since I can't really understand the algorithms at play, and they're both roughly the same "ratio of classes to real code", I see no advantages to it; just wasted time learning a new set of sequences of letters.

> This is fine too, but it is not a reason to prevent the switch of
> a standard library. Besides, after having talked with Kris, I believe, he
> says that the object/function ratio of Phobos vs Tango is about the same.

Prevent?  Why cause?

> Lastly I don't think you should be offended. I love the C feeling of
> Phobos, I still have yet to really use Tango (reading the book now)

I was mildly offended by someone saying that only "dead projects" use Phobos; like "only cool kids consume our product".

>I've
> been around since '06. My statements where based on the trends I have
> observed. There are projects that are still developed under Phobos, but
> most of the highly active/highly used projects switch/support both.

Yeah, I tried once but ultimately realized I was creating two separate programs from the same source to accomplish the exact same thing; and I found it unneccessarily(sp?) complicating.

Well, if you guys do decide to switch, I'll live.  It's not like I can't learn API's and languages.  I'm at something like 80ish and 37.

Regards,
Dan