stdlib Solution?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:36:30 PST 2008

I think that looking at options to solve the problem would be a good list
to have. I think biases should be put aside as to the preferred library
of choice and look at what will be best for the language and community
growth. I have also added a copy of this to:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?StandardLib/
SuggestedResolutions#PlugandPlayStandardLibraries

Plug and Play Standard Libraries:

dmd uses a file called dmd.conf which tells it where to find its standard
library. Why not expand this file to allow for any number of library
choices that can be selected with a compiler switch? Tango should ship
with D2 and Phobos can come as a download extension. Other libraries
could be thrown in: std2, tangobos.

Left Unresolved:

It is true that this does not solve the D has 2 standard libraries.
Library developers such as SWT will feel pressure to support 2 bases.

What is Solved:

What I have seen, there will not be ONE standard. Phobos and Tango will
be competing for a long time if not through D's entire life.

Project developers don't have to support 2 libraries. If I decide to code
in Tango, why should I have to request Gregor to port DSSS to Tango when
the compiled version already works with compiling Tango code. With this
solution I just tell dmd to compile with Phobos and I'm all ready to
install it.

The majority of users will get Tango and not have to deal with installing
it.

Phobos users still have fast access to Phobos.

It will give a chance to see which library really will make a hit.
Projects can be developed with either base and very little concern can be
placed on what your users will prefer. (no more Tango is not the Standard
Lib)

If something even better comes along, there is no need to change
anything. The power is given to the user to decide based on the community
backing.

Final Thoughts:

Tango and/or Phobos could flourish or flop. D is still young and I think
it would be good to allow choice and see where things go. The D community
is already split and it may always be. This topic should probably be
revisited with every new release of D (read initial major version
release).