x.sizeof vs typeid(x)

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Thu Feb 7 19:10:34 PST 2008

Sergey Gromov wrote:
> What can I say.  I do not agree.  C++ committee is not the best
> exemplar.  Looking into implementation should be required to learn the
> details, not to understand what the hell is going on.  Creating the DSLs
> should be a privilege of scripting languages, that's what they are for,
> after all.

As long as you understand the language, you should understand more or
less 'what the hell is going on'. Doesn't make much difference for
comprehension, whether it's written using syntax sugar or not. Yet it
may be more pleasant to read when it's *with* sugar. As for your
argument with scripting languages? Do you suggest that the binding to
Lua from C++ should be done... with a scripting language? That wouldn't
make much sense. And yet, the folks have managed to create a very nice
DSL within C++ that makes the code look really nice. Or should my GL
wrapper *for D* be running through a scripting language?
What can I say. I do not agree. Scripting languages have their uses, but
when the 'main' language is powerful enough, you don't need them that much.

--
Tomasz Stachowiak
http://h3.team0xf.com/