Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Thu Feb 7 22:16:01 PST 2008

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 01:02:25 -0500, Christopher Wright wrote:

> Moritz Warning wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:58:50 +0000, Moritz Warning wrote:
>> It's a pity that Phobos bugs/fixes doesn't get more attention from
>> the maintainers. :|
>> But it doesn't make Tango a more suitable library for that purpose.
>
> Yes it does. Bugs inhibit the usability of a library, and everyone has
> to use the standard library. So a buggy library is a poor candidate for
> the standard library, especially when there's an alternative that's much
>   more reliable.

I know you are not really suggesting that Tango is bug-free ;-)

Leaving aside any usability aspect for now, the major problem with Phobos
is the apparent difficulty in getting bug fixes and improvements
incorporated into the source code.

I assume that Walter does not want Phobos to contain bugs, and that he
actually wants people to use it, so therefore I assume that there must be
some logistical reasons for the submissions not making into the release
packages. If those logistical problems can be solved then there is every
reason why Phobos should remain, in addition to the option of Tango.

Of course, it would even better if developers could use both libraries in
the same application (without a Tangobos layer).

So Walter, how can we or anyone else help solve the logistics issues?

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)