Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Fri Feb 8 08:05:12 PST 2008

Tim Burrell wrote:
> jcc7 wrote:
>> == Quote from Tim Burrell (tim at timburrell.net)'s article
>>> Wow that's great news!  Have you opened a discussion with the Tango
>>> devs yet?  I'm sure they'd be receptive to providing input.
>> I was under the impression that Don was one of the Tango devs. ;)
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contributors

Yeah, Don and I are in pretty close contact <g>.

> Oh... haha... well scratch that then :).
>
> The idea of a single code base is pretty enticing to me.  I was just
> trying to get a feel for how plausible it is that it might happen.

I'm doing my best to make sure it happens. With the I/O stuff, you're dealing
with two almost completely independent code bases (as I understand it, the key
difference is that Tango jettisons C style I/O in exchange for performance and
various other benefits), but most of the other stuff is ultimately the same code
(there's a fair bit of Tango code which began life in Phobos).
After all, Phobos isn't really very big -- there's some stuff in there like
std.openrj which is entirely peripheral.