Macro dangers

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Feb 8 18:38:05 PST 2008

bearophile wrote:
> A very nice explanation of the social dangers of macro (like the
> future D ones), they may be good for the programmer but bad for the
> community: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2008-02/msg00247.html

Definitely, with macros you can fairly easily descend into
incomprehensibility. You can with templates, too. I find Boost template
usage to be way beyond comprehensibility for me. D templates are much
easier to understand, but they can be way out there, too, if you're not
careful.

The author blames the adoption problems with Lisp on macros, and
dismisses the syntax. For me, it's the syntax. It's just off-putting.