Necessities for Adoption of D

Tyro[a.c.edwards] no at spam.com
Sun Feb 10 19:45:19 PST 2008

Hans W. Uhlig さんは書きました:
> Tyro[a.c.edwards] wrote:
>> Hans W. Uhlig さんは書きました:

>> I’ve ported the Mersenne Twister on two separate occasions (both
>> original and SIMD versions) to D, and while I learned a little more
>> about D in the process of doing so, I still do not understand a whole
>> lot about programming.
>
> To write that complex an algorithm and no know much about programming
> you are either an idiot savant or a liar.

I am many thing... but a liar is absolutely not one of them. If I'm made
to conform to your prolarized concept of human knowledge and programming
ability, then I will have to say I stand in the camp of idiot savants
all by my lonesome. I tend to think I can simply read and follow the
simple instructions provided by on the website, which in my mind take
common sense, not understanding.

>  > The amazing thing about this is that I learned
>> and did it all without any documentation other than the D website, the
>> source code, and asking a few questions here and there. My debugger
>> was me, my IDE was first notepad then I upgraded to UltraEdit because
>> the job paid for it. I used the only standard library D has: Phobos.
>
> And my father walked up hills both ways in the snow & rocks without
> shoes because thats what he had. So when it came to us, he paved the
> road, bought us shoes and gave us a segway. Were learn a whole lot more
>  at school now then he did.

And ofcourse if we should lose our road due to an unfortunate earthquake
most of us would all sit around complaining because we've never walked
over a hill in our life. Those that took the time to walk up a few hills
eventhough the didn't have to would have not be hampered by this
problems and would simply fall back on this experience until such time
when the roads were rebuiled.

>> Sorry, make that $10 since I did buy "Learn to Tango with D". The
>> language is not that difficult to learn especially if you are a novice
>> and have no preconceived ideas about what programming should be.
>
> Since this is plesant conversation, how is the book? I was looking to
> pick it up as a reference since there is a limit on the online material
> available.

It is great to the point I've read. I've not yet complete reading it so
I cannot give you a complete review. I'd venture to say that if they
wrap things up they way they started, it will turn out to be a very good
book indeed.

>> For those who come across with preconceived ideas, the site provides
>> enough to explain differences between D and C, D and C++, D and JAVA
>> and so on… To me, that is all you should require if you are an
>> experienced programmer.
>
> Preconceived ideas, tested solutions and methods seem to be what D is
> sold as. 30 years of experience from all languages brought together in
> one tight clean package written to be easy to learn and easy to use. Or
> perhaps I misread Walter's sales pitch.

It took those other languages 30 years to reach where they have the
backing of the best marketing teams and billions of dollars in support
from the largest companies outfitted with paid professionals whose job
it was to develop and improve those languages. I'm sure that D will pale
in comparison to those languages with regard to commercial acceptance
and viability. I simply hope that people would lend a hand at fixing the
problems they encounter rather than always complaining about them.