open, close, dup, dup2, lseek, read, write, fileno, etc.

Jussi Jumppanen jussij at zeusedit.com
Mon Feb 11 17:48:45 PST 2008

Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:

> According to Wikipedia, Windows NT was released in 1993, which
> is the first OS (I believe) that contained CreateFile, etc.
> Those functions were different from DOS which had no names
> for the functions, just interrupts (there was a DOS3Call in
> windows 3.x which wrapped the interrupt call).

I might be wrong, but I thought the Win16 API had an OpenFile
function which let you get away from having to use interrupts,
and it dates back to the days of Windows 3.0 maybe even earlier.

> It would have been very easy for Microsoft to implement
> unix-like system calls in NT instead of what they have,

Windows NT 3.0 at the API level is almost a straight copy
of OS/2, the joint venture between IBM and Microsoft of the
late 1980's.

So IBM is also very much to blame for the Windows we have
today ;)
Jussi