Go compiler!

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Tue Feb 12 08:06:29 PST 2008

"Simen Haugen" <simen at norstat.no> wrote in message
news:fosaio$2gk2$1 at digitalmars.com...
> dmd crashes with stack overflow, and I finally figured out the problem :
> Forward references...
>
> It's certainly not the first time I've hit these bugs (or a bunch of other
> bugs - all known), and it's often quite hell to work around.
>
> I really like D, and have used it a lot recently, but all the bugs are
> getting on my nerves. My first wish for d is to get a stable compiler. I
> think this is a lot more important than working on d2
>
> Just needed to get some frustration out before I start refactoring...

Sorry about your bad experiences with compiler bugs.  I do think forward
reference bugs are important to fix.  However, I personally am more excited
about D 2.0 than ever.  Walter is now working on the very features are
necessary for me to port my code to D.  I tried porting my code a while back
and ran into a brick wall.  Without more ctor/dtors and copy semantics for
structs, I will have to take a huge performance hit, and this is
unacceptable.  Thus, the features he is working on now are on the top of my
priority list, even higher than the annoying forward references bug.  My
case may be atypical though.