64-bit support

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Thu Feb 14 07:12:52 PST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Gilles G. wrote:
>> Bill Baxter Wrote:
>>> I think the main problem is that there isn't actually even a proven
>>> C++ built on top of LLVM at this point.  But rumor is that Apple
>>> wants to move away from GCC and make an LLVM-based compiler their
>>> primary compiler.  So whatever needs to be done to make it a reality
>>> is no doubt going to be done.  Given that, it seems to me like now is
>>> the perfect time to be working on the D front end for it, while LLVM
>>> folks are still probably receptive to big architectural changes to
>>> support a proper C++ compiler.  D is different enough -- but at the
>>> same time similar enough -- that it makes sense to have it in the
>>> mix.  That way LLVM people won't be lulled into thinking something is
>>> generally true when it's really a C/C++-specific assumption.   If
>>> that makes sense.
>>>
>>> I guess ObjC is probably similar in that respect, and no doubt Apple
>>> wants an ObjC front end too.  Maybe that's sufficient to keep 'em
>>> honest and not make C/C++ specific assumptions.  But maybe not, since
>>> I think ObjC is also a superset of C.
>>>
>>> --bb
>> You can take a look at http://llvm.org/Features.html .
>> you will see that LLVM already as "complete" front-ends for C, C++,
>> and ObjC. These front-end are based upon GCC's ones.
>>

> But have they been used to compile any significantly big piece of
> software?  Like, say, a sizeable wxWidgets project such as Audacity?
>
> --bb

Thanx for bringing some attention to my llvmdc project :)

I'll just jump in here and add that the llvm-gcc project is very mature and in most aspects at
least as functional as the original gcc. All the backends however are not yet fully up to
speed, but x86 is very well supported. There are some problems with exceptions on other targets
afaik, but these are all being sorted out. The just-out LLVM 2.2 release is much closer than
they've been before and I suspect 2.3 will put an end to most of the big issues.