Totally OT: Quantum Mechanics proof for the existence of a Supreme Conciousness?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 03:05:54 PST 2008

Jb wrote:
> "boyd" <gaboonviper at gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:op.t6ji59yp1auoiy at company-3328781.home.nl...
>
>> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:06:52 +0100, Bill Baxter
>> <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:
>>
>> Actually infinite means exactly that it can't expand. That's the whole
>> point of infinity. It's not a number, not a real one anyway, because a
>> real number is always smaller than infinite.
>>

> Infinity is a set.
>
> if x = the set -inf .. +inf
>
> the set 2*x is infinite, as is 4*x.
>
> 4*x is an exactly like 2*x just spread out by a factor of 2.
>
> Infinity can expand because it is infinte. It just becomes a different but
> still infinite set of numbers.

Nope.
as you said yourself we are talking sets here. in order to compare
infinite sets you cannot just count the elements (that would take forever).
math uses cardinality for that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality
basically, |{0, 1, 2, ...}| = |{0, 2, 4, ...}|
that maybe doesn't sound right, but both sets do in fact have the same
cardinality (there's a trivial function that maps each member of the
left set to a unique member of the right set).
so in a matter of speaking both sets have the same amount of elements,
thus you didn't expand infinity.

--Yigal