Totally OT: Quantum Mechanics proof for the existence of a Supreme Conciousness?

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Sat Feb 16 11:16:24 PST 2008

"Edward Diener" <eddielee_no_spam_here at tropicsoft.com> wrote in message
news:fp50mt$v2o$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Craig Black wrote:
>> I apologize for the inappropriate post, but I read this material last
>> night and am still buzzing about it.  I just have to share it.  I
>> personally am an agnostic, so not trying to preach anything, but I
>> thought this was very interesting.  I didn't realize that modern science
>> has such a solid theory about consciousness.  Namely, that there is only
>> one conscious mind in the universe, and that matter is the result of
>> observations of that mind.  At the subatomic level, there are only
>> possibilities that require a mind to bring into actual reality.  And that
>> mind is not Many but One.  The universe essentially consists of a single
>> Indivisible Mind from which matter emmanates.
>>
>> Are these the ramblings of a deluded philosopher or religious cult?
>> Nope. The conclusions that result due to observations and discoveries
>> made by Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and Niels Bohr, all
>> pioneers of quantum mechanics.
>>
>> http://www.integralscience.org/ConsciousQM.html
>
> Utter rubbish !
>
> For a person in a mathematical/scientific field such as computer
> programming buying such hogwash is pathetic. Try studying the great
> physicists, even a little, to understand that they were not in the
> business of supporting mystagogues of any type.

Actually after reading more on the topic, this is actually not the
"conclusion" that the author here states.  But it is one hypothesis that
unless I misunderstand was posed by Schrodinger himself.   This quote is
from Shrodinger on Wikipedia:

    * Multiplicity is only apparent, in truth, there is only one mind...
          o "The Oneness of Mind", as translated in Quantum Questions:
Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists (1984) edited by Ken
Wilber

It may be the case that the author here takes this idea further than
Schrodinger did.  However, because this particular hypothesis violates the
Ockham's Razor principle, it gets less attention from mainstream science
than the other alternatives.

-Craig