D slower than C++ in compile time

Matti Niemenmaa see_signature at for.real.address
Sat Feb 16 11:48:24 PST 2008

Christopher Wright wrote:
> Ditch DMD for serious work. And the frontend has enough bugs....
>
> It would be nice Walter could add a couple people who just manage
> bugfixes, then put the dmd frontend on dsource.

Ideally Walter would release his pile of test cases. He's said that one problem
with patches on Bugzilla is that you can't be sure whether they don't break
something else. Well, the problem is that whoever writes the patches can't be
sure either, since he doesn't have all the tests Walter uses.

If we had the tests, we could write patches for the frontend and be able to
unequivocally state that they work. Plus, it'd help in understanding the
frontend code - "if I change this all of these stop working, why is that?" -
which in turn may lead to more patches.

--
E-mail address: matti.niemenmaa+news, domain is iki (DOT) fi