D slower than C++ in compile time

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 05:30:57 PST 2008

"Yigal Chripun" <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fpbjmj$199t$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Ty Tower wrote:
>> Lars Ivar Igesund Wrote:
>> Dil     DIL   Hmm in English Dill is a stupid person as well as a herb
>>
>> DLL is windows Dynamically Linked Library
>>
>> It all seems a little close don't you think ?
>>

> dil is not dill (notice the extra "L" you've added at the end?)
> dil is a Turkish work for "language" so it represents the intention of
> the project (a D language compiler).
> Do you always assume that everything you read online is in English?
> that wouldn't be a smart assumption as most of the world has a different
> native language than English.
> would you also assume [for example] that "Ubuntu" is some kind of
> English word/slang?

I think what he's getting at is that while it might be a fine name in
_Turkish_, in _English_ it sounds a bit funny.  Kind of like how the "Wii"
gets made fun of because it's a word kids use to talk about going to the
bathroom.

I've never heard of a "dill" being a stupid person, though.  Maybe that's a
British thing.  I kind of like dill, it sounds fresh and herby ;)