D slower than C++ in compile time

Frank Benoit keinfarbton at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:42:36 PST 2008

torhu schrieb:
> dwt-win is 6.9 MB of code in 353 files, about the same size as Tango.

In addition ...
This does not mean it should be equal compile time. dwt uses tango, so
its about double size of types/declarations for the compiler. So i
wonder how it grows if you build an application on top of dwt with
another 300 files :)

I gave it a try to measure both times for linux to compile dwt
dmd options: -g -gc -debug -v
dsss options: -full -v
2.8Ghz 2GB Ram

oneatatime=off :  0:31
oneatatime=on  : 31:49

I would reason, with oneatatime=off we see here a much stronger effect
of more RAM size and CPU speed. With oneatatime=on the file I/O has much
more weigth, so here the difference is not so big.